Call for Applications:“Joint Seminar: The University of Tokyo - Freie Universität Berlin”
Dear IHS program students,
The Educational Project 4 "Producing Multicultural Communities" and the Educational Project 5 "Cultural Diversity and Imagination" are calling for participation in a joint seminar between the University of Tokyo and Freie Universität Berlin (Free University Berlin), which will be held in Berlin, Germany, in March of 2017.
The seminar will comprise of sessions on "English academic presentation" and actual presentation by students from the University of Tokyo and Freie Universität Berlin. There will also be opportunities for student led excursions.
The goal of the seminar is to enhance the IHS students' English language skills and offer them an opportunity to engage in a constructive academic dialog with their counterparts at Freie Universität Berlin. The main theme of the student presentation is "The Significance of Higher Education in Germany and Japan." The IHS students will critically reflect on the meaning of higher education by focusing on their personal experience as a student of the University of Tokyo and also investigating institutions of higher education in Berlin, specifically Freie Universität Berlin and Max Planck Institute, both of which are regarded as Germany's premier institutions for research and education. They will do some preliminary research in Japan, visit the sites in Berlin, and share their findings and thoughts with the students in Germany. The experience will enable the students to explore the relationship between higher education and possibilities of social and cultural changes, including promotion of multiculturalism in the larger society.
For those who wish to join this UT-FUB Joint seminar, upon reading the application requirements below, please submit the statement of purpose by November 30th (Wednesday), midnight (24:00 JST) to project4[at]ihs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp
3/1(Wed.) to 3/9(Thu.)
- 3/1(Wed.): Tokyo to Berlin
- 3/2(Thu.): Field Trip
- 3/3(Fri.): Joint Seminar for Presentation
- 3/4(Sat.): Joint Seminar for Presentation
- 3/5(Sun.): Field Trip
- 3/6(Mon.): Joint Workshop: The University of Tokyo - Freie Universität Berlin
- 3/7(Tue.): Field Trip
- 3/8(Wed.): Berlin to Tokyo
- 3/9(Thu.): Arrival in Tokyo
*Note: The schedule is subject to change based on discussions among participants.
Number of Applicants Accepted:
3 IHS students
*Note: If the number of applicants exceeds the number of positions available, selection will based on the submitted application document.
Statement of purpose:
- Provide the statement of purpose (the reason for why you wish to participate, and explain what activities that you hope to conduct during your visit) in one page, A4 size (in English).
- Send an email titled "Application for Joint Seminar" with the attached document to project4[at]ihs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp by November 30th (Wednesday), midnight (24:00 JST)
- As a student of the IHS Program, applicants must show a strong will to actively engage in the educational activities.
- Upon completion of the activities, participants must submit a report.
Additional Important Information:
- Travel costs, including hotels, will be provided to participants who are selected.
- By taking part in this program, participants acknowledge that pictures, video, or audio recordings of the program activities may be taken for promotional purposes.
The University of Tokyo Program for Leading Graduate Schools Integrated Human Sciences Program for Cultural Diversity (IHS) Project 4 "Producing Multicultural Communities" and the Educational Project 5 "Cultural Diversity and Imagination"